Starting a new campus ministry might seem like a daunting task, but we are here to help you through the process. We’ve got many years of experience in doing this, and lots of people and resources to help you along the way.
To give you an idea of what might be involved, here is a brief outline of what is usually involved:
- Gather together a group of people who share your vision of starting a campus ministry on your local campus. Make sure you include at least one person from your local Classis.
- Get in touch with us so we can walk with you through the process and serve as a resource for you.
- Do some research. What is already happening on your local campus, where is God already at work there? What are the needs there? What might it look like to love this campus and the people in it? Meet with university administrators to gain their perspective and input, as well as with Christians who are part of the campus community.
- Bring an initial proposal to Classis so they can support and work with you, and so that you can ensure the campus ministry will contribute to the vision of Classis.
- With the blessing of Classis, develop a full proposal, including a budget that outlines, in broad terms, expenses and potential sources of funding.
- With Classis approval and support, develop a job description for a campus minister and begin the search and calling process.
While this might seem like a lot, once it is started, it flows fairly smoothly. Each step should be included prayer and discernment. The Home Missions campus ministry team will also walk with you through this, and we have many resources to assist you. If you’d like to start the ball rolling, or would simply like to talk further, please contact us.