Serve and learn with a Cambodian organization committed to developing emerging young leaders by supporting their drop-in youth center.
Cambodia has a recent history of deeply traumatic events and 40% of the population is under 20 years old. Resonate's local partner is made up of Jesus followers who are committed to seeing transformation in young people. Their vision statement reads, “People of Cambodia have emotionally mature and humble leaders who bring healing to the nation.” One of the ways they do this is by hosting a drop-in center for local youth (serving 100 youth pre-COVID).
This position is for a young adult from North America to come alongside Mission Dove Cambodia staff and students in the drop-in center, and the position can be shaped based on the skills and interests of the volunteer.
The volunteer will be immersed in Mission Dove Cambodia's holistic witness in a Buddhist context, and they will have opportunities to grow in their faith as they model the way of Jesus to young adults.
Possible Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Developing relationships with teens who come to the center
- Teaching English for 10 hours per week (or other languages, especially Chinese, if possible)
- Participating in and assisting with Dove’s growth groups such as Leadership Club, Men's/Women's Group
- Offering special classes or workshops based on the volunteer’s skills (music, art, design, etc.)
- Assisting with Dove’s organizational and staff development (particularly with teacher training, report writing and social media presence, if possible).
- Desire to develop relationships with local teens and willing to take initiative to reach out to teens
- Some experience teaching would be helpful, but not required
- Willingness to learn some Khmer language (Dove staff can provide tutoring and Dove can connect the volunteer to formal classes, if desired)
- Humble, servant-hearted, and flexible
- At least 20 years old, and college graduate preferred
- Chinese language proficiency (for teaching), art and music
- Social media or marketing experience (if the volunteer also wants to help with organizational development in addition to reaching out to teens)
The volunteer needs to be able to work in a hot and humid climate. Daily high temperatures in Cambodia are usually in the 90s F.
Apply or Ask
Want to apply for this opportunity or learn more about it? Just fill out this contact form, please select your preferred contact method below and someone will get back to you with all the details you need.