This position exists to help strengthen Tesoros De Dios's work, especially in the area of serving the needs of children and families.
Tesoros de Dios (FES) is a ministry for children with developmental disabilities in Managua, Nicaragua. Its vision is to actively engage children with disabilities in a spirit of love and excellence.
Tesoros de Dios exists to provide children with developmental disabilities and their families the basic tools for life-long holistic growth through programs of personal health, special needs education, economic empowerment, social networking, and Christ-centered spiritual growth which are sustainable in a Nicaraguan familial and social context.
The ministry is more than a center for therapy and classes; it is a place where a team of teachers, therapists, trained staff, parents, physicians, and volunteers work together to pass on Christ's love to children with developmental disabilities and their families, prioritizing their spiritual development.
- Assist in the areas assigned by the director and physical therapist
- Report to Tesoros de Dios Physical Therapist and to the Director of Tesoros de Dios
- Educate the CRCNA and others about the nature of the global church and its mission
- Encourage CRC churches to develop a deeper passion and involvement in international missions
- Communicate the nature and value of Resonate Global Mission's ministries to the CRCNA and beyond. Additionally, participate in support-raising for Resonate ministries by developing and maintaining a network of supporting churches and individuals that will provide prayer, care, and financial support for the ministry
The position is flexible. Possible ministry opportunities include:
Assist one of the Tesoros de Dios (FES) staff members in physical strengthening and development activities for children with developmental disabilities
Physical Therapy - assist in evaluating and treating children who receive physical therapy (A volunteer with experience in making braces would also be welcome)
Equine Therapy - assist in all activities involved with horses, from keeping the horses clean to walking with children as they ride and helping with children's therapeutic activities
Special Needs Classroom Assistant:
Assist one of the Tesoros de Dios (FES) teachers as he/she provides basic life training, educational reinforcement, and early intervention. Areas can include:
Early Intervention - assist in intervention strategies for young children with disabilities
Special Education - assist in teaching and training children
Speech Therapy - assist in language development of all children with language delays
Occupational Therapy - assist in positioning and life skills training
Music - provide music classes/therapy for all children in the program
Provide vocational training classes for older children in the program and/or for family members of all children in the program. Areas may include:
Computer Training - train students in computers basics
Beautician Training - train women how to cut hair, do nails, etc.
Sewing Class - train women how to sew
Art Skills - train students in candle-making, paper-making, piñata-making, etc.
- Mature Christian committed to Christ
- Flexible and adaptable
- Compassionate and respectful of other cultures
- Knowledge of and a heart for working with kids with developmental disabilities
- The specific qualifications and interests for this volunteer opportunity will vary greatly. It is recommended that the interested individual have some studies and/or experience in the area of interest
- It is recommended that the volunteer takes a Spanish course before entering this position
- Complete and submit a Resonate volunteer application form
- Provide a current (within two years) criminal bacvkground check, including a vulnerable sector search
- Raise prayer and financial support by inviting individuals, businesses, and/or churches to give to this opportunity
- Adhere to CRCNA Code of Conduct, Crisis Management Policy, and other applicable policies
Please note that costs are approximate and listed in U.S. funds.
- Airfare - $500-1,000 round trip
- Transportation on the field - $40/month
- Housing and utilities - $300-500/month
- Ministry expenses - donations to the program are welcome; details will be provided
- Other expenses - $50-300/month.
Total: $390-850/month plus cost of airfare
Additional Costs - depending on each individual:
- Passport (must be valid for at least six months beyond date of return flight)
- Communication (i.e. cell phone, internet)
- Health Insurance
- Personal expenses/recreation
- Growth in your faith and relationship with God
- An opportunity to foster new attitudes, perceptions, and relationships
- A chance to learn from, serve, and be served by a different culture
- The opportunity to share your Christian faith with others who may not know the Gospel
- Serve as an encouragement to Christians in Nicaragua
- Apply your current gifts and talents and discover new ones
- Develop a personal perspective on poverty, missions, and/or development work
- Grow in your understanding of the basic principles for international missions
- Gain personal satisfaction by seeing first-hand how your prayers and contributions to Resonate have impacted Nicaraguan communities
- Assist in educating and raising awareness within North America about Nicaragua's social/political situation
- Expenses directly related to this volunteer opportunity are tax-deductible
Support Services Provided: Resonate agrees to provide:
- Orientation materials as well as on-going logistics and support to meet the needs of the volunteers and local community
- Consultation and/or visits by missionary staff when available
- Opportunity to help volunteers link their individual/church’s mission and vision to work being done