Purpose: The volunteer would provide direct classroom support to teachers and students at Nicaragua Christian Academy (International). The volunteer would also be given opportunities to extend love and attention to children in nearby homes for orphans.
Position Description: The volunteer would participate in classroom and school activities at NCA International during the school day (7:30am-2:30pm) and/or spend daily time building relationships with children at a local orphanage (possibly half day at school and half day at the orphanage). Weekends, the volunteer would feel free to relax, travel, or engage in other service opportunities.
Accountability and Supervision: Andrew Ippel is a preschool and special-education teacher at NCA and a Resonate partner missionary. He would provide direct supervision and support alongside of the classroom teachers at NCA. Secondary field contact would be the director of NCA who is a CRWM partner missionary, Liam Starkenburg.
Background on Ministry Partner: Nicaragua Christian Academy is an English-speaking Pre-K through 12th school that seeks to "equip children of Christian parents with the spiritual discernment, moral courage, and academic excellence to impact society through Christian living motivated by a heartfelt love for God." The school seeks to provide quality education for children of missionaries as well as Nicaraguan nationals - the future leaders of Nicaragua. A volunteer at NCA would support this mission through supporting the educational endeavors of the school. Additional opportunities for interactions with children can also occur at local orphanages and children's homes in Managua.
- Experience in education and classroom teaching
- Example of Christian faith and living
- Desire to learn and serve
- Past cross-cultural experience is beneficial but not necessary
- Basic Spanish is helpful but not required
- Airfare: approx. $750 roundtrip
- Food - $180 per month
- Accommodation (housing, utilities, etc.) - $400/month for furnished apartment, possibilities exist of finding a "host family" with whom to live as well for a reduced cost
- On-field travel $30 per month
- Communication (cell phones, internet, etc.) - $30/month for phone, $30/month for internet
- Visa extension - after 3 months, a $20 extension would be needed
- Entrance or exit fees - $10 entrance fee
- Suggested amount to bring for personal use on field - $0-500
Total: $920/month, plus airfare
Managua is the capital of Nicaragua and home to nearly 2 million people. Housing would be arranged with a local missionary family or in an apartment complex that houses many single teachers at NCA.
Culture: Nicaragua is a beautiful country, rich in natural beauty and full of resilient, resourceful people. As with all developing countries and large cities, safey of individuals, and care of possessions must be considered when traveling and living in a foreign country. While crime rates are low, one should not travel alone, especially after dark, and one must use common sense when in possession of any items of value.