As a SCBP participant, join a group of your peers living in intentional Christian community as together you learn how to integrate faith and life in meaningful ways while working a summer job in beautiful Norfolk County, Ontario, from May – August, 2021. With engaging Christian mentors, you will explore a variety of integral faith and life matters such as: vocational discernment, theology of place, fiscal responsibility, a Christian sexual ethic, conflict stewardship, social justice, dynamics of power in leadership. Recognizing that worship and a larger community of believers are essential components to a Christ-shaped life, Immanuel Christian Reformed Church in Simcoe, Ontario will be the SCBP hosting congregation. You will be given assistance in securing summer employment and housing is included.
- Live in a community house/facility with 8 – 12 of your peers
- Be part of Immanuel Christian Reformed Church for the duration of the SCBP
- Secure local employment (in Norfolk County)
- Learn about and engage the local community in a Christ-like manner
- Read assigned books (which will be sent to you)
- Engage in group fundraising training and efforts toward the group funding goal
- Work toward creating post-SCBP goals for further spiritual and leadership development
- Minimum 18 years old; SCBP is designed for individuals ages 18-25
- Must be legally employable in Canada from May–August, 2021
- Demonstrated spiritual and emotional maturity
- Some experience away from home helpful
- Openness to building healthy intentional community with a group of peers
- Teachability and eagerness to engage learning opportunities with Christian mentors
- Interest in growing interpersonal skills and attitudes
A non-refundable deposit of $500CAD will be due upon acceptance of your invitation to be a SCBP participant. The participants AS A GROUP will be fundraising approximately $4,000CAD per person. This will include the costs of room, board and other incidental costs associated with the project.
We work with you to secure a mentor from your home community who will support you before, during and after the project experience. You will also have mentor support on site for the course of the summer. You will be given support and resources assisting you to find local summer employment; though securing a job is your responsibility. You will be expected to share a room with 1–2 other participants.