Service & Learning Teams will assist Dominican congregations and local tradespeople in building small community churches and pastors' homes.
They will develop deep cross-cultural relationships and experience the rich hospitality of the Dominican Republic as they serve the ministry goals of the national church,La Iglesia Cristiana Reformada en la República Dominicana (ICRRD - the Christian Reformed Church in the Dominican Republic) as well as those of Resonate Global Mission's staff.
- Work alongside local labourers and volunteers on building a community church and/or pastors’ homes.
- Worship with the community during the project.
- Complete recommended reading and orientation before departure.
- Provide Resonate Global Mission and the community with an evaluation of the project.
- Write a story or final report for your church and/or supporters.
- Mature Christian committed to Christ.
- Ages 16 and above; must be a Canada or U.S. resident.
- At least two individuals on each team should have experience in general construction or be very handy with tools.
- Ability to do physical work in a tropical climate and sometimes under rustic conditions.
- Willingness to work under the leadership of the community.
- Flexibile individuals dedicated to serving and interacting with fellow Christians in a culture different from their own.
- Conversational Spanish helpful but not necessary.
- Complete and submit a Resonate volunteer application form.
- Provide a current (within 2 years) criminal background check.
- Attend an orientation session in Grand Rapids, MI, or Burlington, ON, when possible; or participate in alternative (phone- and/or web-based) options; or attend orientation provided by your church.
- Adhere to CRCNA Code of Conduct, CRCNA Crisis Management Policy, and other applicable policies and/or procedures.
- Raise all of the needed support and ministry-related funds.
Estimated budget based on a per person cost. Prices are in U.S. funds. Does not include passport, immunizations, background check and other incidentals.
- Airfare - aapprox. $800-850 round trip
- Materials/project fee & in-country meals, lodging, transportation - $125-135/day
- Medical insurance - $35
- Tourist card upon entry into the country - $10
Total: $2,200 (10-day), incl. airfare
- Growth in your faith and relationship with God.
- Fellowship and the building of new relationships with the local community.
- Serve as an encouragement to Christians in the DR.
- Partner with Resonate missionaries, learn about their work, and encourage them in their efforts to serve the people of the DR.
- Through the efforts of your service and partnership, support the Dominican church in their efforts to spread the Gospel.
- Develop a personal perspective on poverty and missions.
- Learn about the history and culture of the DR.
- Gain satisfaction of seeing how your prayers and contributions to Resonate have impacted Dominican Republic communities.
- Assist in educating and raising awareness within North America about the Dominican Republic's social/political situation.
- Expenses directly related to volunteer opportunity are tax-deductible.
Dates: Groups may choose from an available time period between November and April. Summer opportunities may be available depending on staff schedules.
Step 1: Application Process
- Contact the Group Coordinator
- Complete and mail or email the information sheet.
- Submit a copy of your passport.
- Submit the letter of agreement.
- Submit the personal security doc.
- Submit a background check.
Step 2: Prepare for Your Trip
- Get your passport (if needed).
- Make sure your immunizations are up to date.
- Purchase your ticket.
- Purchase insurance.
Step 3: Set Up a Support Team
- Ask family and friends to pray for you.
- Raise financial support if needed.
- Pray for your trip, the leaders, the people you'll meet.
- Submit payment for project/ministry costs (if applicable).
Step 4: Your Journey Begins
- Attend orientation with your team.
- Travel to the Dominican Republic.