This short-term position is designed to allow the participant to explore ministry options that bridge between the church and the community. The focus is to develop an approach to serve “with” the community (as opposed to doing “for” or “to” the community). Assignments include joining existing incarnational ministries, taking innovative approaches to revealing Christ’s Kingdom, and a wide variety of specialties.
Possible areas for ministry include:
- Environmental projects – recycling projects in schools, disaster mitigation training, soil conservation, organic agriculture, environmental education, etc.
- Incarnational ministry outreach among at-risk youth, families, and communities – participate with churches in marginal communtities to develop a missional approach.
- Family and marriage counseling – participate with churches and community groups to develop appropriate structures, training for leaders, and restorative practices, in a sustainable way.
- Community health – work with Christian medical agencies in the needy areas of the city and countryside. Any degree of expertise is accepted, as long as there is a willingness to serve.
- Small business development – come alongside entrepreneurs to assist in making a business plan, improve accounting practices, and promote sustainable development.
- Microcredit and community savings groups – learn, practice, and train in the context of an existing program in marginal communities.
- Mature Christian committed to serving Jesus Christ.
- CRCNA member in good standing.
- Relevant ministry experience and training.
- Some Spanish ability required; language learning is available in-country.
- Cultural sensitivity and high moral standards are expected in areas of public testimony and personal conduct.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to view life with a sense of humor.
Please note that costs are estimated and listed in U.S. funds. Estimate is for a single person; assume 1.5 times this amount for a couple and double this amount for a family with one to three children.
- Travel to country - varies; typically $600-$800 round trip
- Food & lodging - $800/month
- In-country transportation - $300/month
- Tourist visa - $10
- Orientation/language learning $100
- Administrative expenses/communication (on-field) $50/month
- Ministry expenses $400-$600
TOTAL Estimated funds needed - dependent on length of stay, plus cost of airfare
Additional Costs – depending on each individual
- Vaccinations and prescription medication
- Medical and travel insurance
- Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months beyond date of return)
- Communication (i.e. cell phone, internet)