As a Homeless Outreach Assistant, you will serve alongside experienced professionals at Covenant Community Care (CCC) to build relational networks and provide integrated and affordable health care for residents of Southwest Detroit. CCC's Homeless Outreach Program serves daily on the streets of Detroit and provides care to people wherever they are (under highway overpasses, in broken down trailers, in abandoned buildings, and in hidden urban encampments); works with them to navigate the present day healthcare system; and dispels the obstacles of anxiety, fear, and mistrust.
The Homeless Outreach Assistant will be part of Cohort Detroit, learning alongside a six-month (January 2020 - July 2020) or ten-month (September 2020 - June 2021) cohort of diverse young adult leaders serving at similar ministries and non-profits across the city. As members of Cohort, participants will develop cross-cultural leadership skills, build intercultural friendships, and participate in travel intensives and learning conversations at the intersection of Christian service, racial justice, and vocation.
- Assist the Homeless Outreach Team's chaplain and healthcare professionals in meeting client needs, including personal hygiene, basic medical care, patient referrals, dietary needs, and transportation
- Use your unique skillset to build and maintain trusting relationships with Southwest Detroit residents and clients
- Improve current structures by building and maintaining a database for clients
- Learn about the history, culture, political, and faith practices of Detroit residents
- Be flexible and willing to respond to urgent needs that arise in the neighborhood
- Visit three urban ministry locations across Canada and the United States to learn about contextualized ministry practices
- Participate in theological, contextual, and spiritual formation alongside Cohort Detroit peers serving in other Detroit neighborhoods
- Live with a local host family
- Fluency in Spanish is preferred, but not required
- Interest and/or experience working in a healthcare environment
- Interest and/or experience working with people who are homeless
- Demonstrated spiritual and emotional maturity
- Ability to serve and learn in flexible or uncomfortable environments
- Strong interpersonal skills and attitudes
- Desire to engage in and learn from diverse cultures
- Some experience away from home is helpful
- Past leadership experience is helpful
- Openness to building intentional community with a cohort of 4-6 other young adults serving across the city
- Cohort Detroit is designed for individuals who are ages 19-27
Six-month position (January 2020 - July 2020): $4500 USD or $5000 CAD
Ten-month position (September 2020 - June 2021): $6000 USD or $7000 CAD
Cost includes room and board, travel, all position-related expenses, and a monthly stipend. Resonate will provide support as you fundraise. Additional support is available for those who cannot raise the full amount. As part of Cohort Detroit, you may apply for our educational loan repayment or educational expense assistance.
We work with you to ensure you are well-supported through a mentor and local supervisor. We ensure that your living arrangement is safe, comfortable, and meets your needs.
See similar service opportunities here.