Do you enjoy working with people toward community transformation? The Nehemiah Center in Nicaragua, Managua, is seeking a community development assistant. In this position, you will work with their Nicaraguan staff in the implementation of our community development program in Leon. The program partners with local churches and organizations in Leon to meet a wide variety of needs in various neighborhoods. Part of this position will include assisting with our Trauma Healing program, co-facilitating a group of 8-12 individuals using materials developed by the American Bible Society.
This position is part of Resonate's Cohort, a year-long opportunity for an integrated group of young adults from Central America and North America to volunteer in various ministries alongside Resonate ministry leaders and partners. As part of the Cohort, participants will have the opportunity to engage in direct service, a spiritual formation process, and a theological perspectives training.
Learn more about the Cohort here.
- Spanish proficiency is required for this position.
- The ability to listen, to have empathy, and to love the least and the lost is extremely important in this position.
- The ability to be independent, as well as the ability to work with others.
- The desire to engage with Nicaraguan leaders and community on a personal and working relationship.
- A background in social work, psychology, counseling, or theology/ministry is preferred, but not necessary.
- Volunteer must be in good health with the ability to travel internationally.
- Must be able to take public transportation and navigate alone in an urban setting.
Cost includes food, accommodations, on-field travel, ministry expenses, and airfaire. Cost will vary depending upon departure city and time of year. Additional costs may include passport, visa, immunications, and insurance.
The application deadline is April 15, 2019, if you will require language school ahead of time. Application deadline is July 1, 2019, if you will not require intensive language school.
Volunteers will be required to have pre-field orientation, as well as on-field orientation. Pre-field orientation takes place in Grand Rapids, Michigan, from May 29-31, 2019. The Nehemiah Center will provide on-field orientation on the history, culture, and religious traditions of Nicaragua.