Campus Edge Fellowship—a Resonate partner campus ministry at Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan—is seeking to employ a full-time campus pastor to fulfill its mission. MSU is a large public campus with many strong Christian groups. But graduate and professional students, as well as faculty and staff, are underserved, especially in providing a vision for integrating faith, life, and learning. The candidate should have a thirst for knowledge across a variety of areas; be able to imagine and implement a vision for campus ministry; and be able to create a safe, respectful, and trusting environment for meaningful discipleship and dialogue. The campus pastor will report to the Campus Edge Fellowship Board. We hope the future pastor will be able to transition into the position during the Fall of 2020.
Campus Edge currently hosts Bible studies, social events, public-facing theological discussions, and academic presentations (https://campusedgemsu.com/events2/). Ministry takes place in and around MSU’s campus, including at the Campus Edge house located across the street from MSU. Attendees come from a wide variety of Christian backgrounds and perspectives, but share a thirst for Christian encouragement, community, and a listening ear.
Mentoring and Discipleship:
- Create opportunities to mentor students, helping to strengthen and shape them in life, studies and faith
- Give students the tools to integrate faith and intellectual life so that they can participate in honest, meaningful dialogue in the academic environment.
- Provide activities that will encourage graduate and professional students to pursue God both in their professional/academic vocation and also in their devotional life.
- Provide opportunities to build relationships through activities, events, and studies.
- Give students a space to come together to talk about their experiences/concerns/lives as Christians and to grow together.
- Form a bridge from students to the local church and larger Christian community.
- Encourage spiritual formation of students and provide opportunities for development.
- Provide opportunities that nurture both career (success/intellectual pursuits) and faith (purpose/significance/pursuit of God).
- Provide a safe space where one’s intellectual and professional pursuits and faith can come together; help students, staff, and faculty reconcile how faith fits with reason.
- Provide pastoral care to students, staff, and faculty.
- Develop opportunities for graduate students to use and develop their spiritual leadership and discipleship.
- Teach students how to seek Christ and develop a relationship with Him in every part of life.
Connections & Relationships
- Maintain linkages to River Terrace Church (https://www.riverterrace.org/) through active inclusion of the congregation and communication of campus ministry opportunities.
- Communicate regularly with supporters of the ministry and to Classis Lake Erie (ClassisLakeErie.org).
- Work with the Board of Campus Edge in raising funds and identifying sources of financial support.
- Strengthen connections and collaborations, where appropriate, with other campus ministries and other local congregations.
- Biblical knowledge and commitment to a Reformed theological perspective
- A passion for campus ministry and experience working with or mentoring students • An advanced academic degree or equivalent experience
- An openness to membership in the Christian Reformed Church
- Leadership experience
- Experience using technology for social networking and communications
Other strengthening qualities
- An MDiv. Degree
- Willingness to work within the structures of the Christian Reformed Church
- Experience in fundraising and maintaining donor relationships
Interested candidates can submit the following:
- A resume or minister profile
- A brief (1-2 pages) personal statement describing one's vision for campus ministry
Applications can be sent by email to:
Or by mail to:
Campus Edge Search Committee
1509 River Terrace Dr. East Lansing, MI 48823
The search committee will start reviewing applications on August 17, 2020 but later submissions will be reviewed until the position is filled.
If you have questions, you can fill out the contact form below, or email Corwin Smidt at email@example.com