Join with Philothea Klub staff for their in-school and after-school programs about faith, life, relationships, alcohol, dructs, etc. You will work with staff for the school year and the camp programs as well.
Background on Ministry Partner: Philothea Klub is an after school youth ministry program. The leaders of Philothea have developed a good relationship with local school administrators and teachers who are invited into the classrooms to talk to students about relevant issues such as addictions, alcohol, drugs, sex, gambling, etc. The focus is on prevention. Philothea also has after-school programs at their tea house where kids can drop by for tea, conversation, study, language programs, etc. In months, youth are invited to Philothea's camps (often held in collaboration with other youth development agencies). The volunteer(s) would assist the Philothea staff in the school, aftershool, and camp programs throughout the year.
As an assistant with the Philothea Klub team, the volunteer would be involved in meetings afterschool with students, going to the schools for presentations with students, organizing activities at Philothea Klub, and joining PK staff when they assisted other CE Union organizations with special combined events.
- Must be comfortable engaging with a group of middle school or high school youth on a daily basis.
- Be familar with formal and non-formal education settings such as classroom and camp.
- Able to provide leadership to a group of students, willing to follow instructions and carry through on assignments.
- Willing to learn Romanian language and use it daily.
- Outgoing and draws energy from consistent interaction with young people.
- Familiarity with computer programs and fluency in English are also helpful.
- Airfare - approx. $750 round trip
- Food - $50/week
- Accommodation (housing, utilities, internet) - $300/month (this would be less if the apartment was shared with other volunteers)
- On-field travel (ground transportation, airport pickup, etc.) - $600
- Ministry expenses - provided by Phlothea Klub
- Administrative Supplies - provided by Phlothea Klub
- Communication (cell phone) - Start-up cost: $150, $20/month
- Visa - none
- Other expenses - $300 for the residence permit process; cost may vary. Phlothea Klub does not provide a laptop for the volunteer to use and it would be required that the volunteer supply their own laptop.
- Personal expenses - $600-$800 for travel money to see Romania and other parts of Europe - it is good health practice to take a break from the workload and Targu Mures once in a while for refreshment.
- $20-25 per week is recommended for incidental expenses or entertainment.
Total: $17,130 (2 years), plus airfare
Location: Housing would be apartment style as is common in Romania. Resonate Global Mission will assist the volunteers in locating and securing adequate and appropriate apartment living. Conditions can be austere at times and volunteers will need to prepare for such conditions.
Accountability and Supervision: The volunteer would be based in the Philothea Klub office and be supervised by Gabriella Belenyesi. Secondary field contact would be Resonate Romania staff for follow-up on communications wtih supporters and how the experience is going.
Timeline: Philothea Klub would be very interested in having the volunteer stay for a two-year period. The type of residence permit available to the volunteer is a two-year religious affairs permit through a faith-based organization, such as CE Union and Philothea Klub. Thus, the preference is that this position be considered a two-year position.
Culture: Sometimes there is a certain level of quiteness and distrust of people and communication is only done an a need-to-do basis. Adapting to this quiet and silent behaviour can be a challenge for some. Any experience that the candidate may have in post-Communist society would be helpful in adjusting and appreciating the cultural mores of Eastern Europe. The interactions with staff and colleagues will be very different and a closeness could develop. CE and Philothea are very clear that romantic relationships or unhealthy attachment relationship to any particul student or participant are not acceptable.